Pages

Thursday 26 August 2010

Connecting with YOUR deity

Hello one and all :D


I know I've been very neglectful with my posting. For this I am sorry. I intend to pick it up a bit more in the coming weeks. I hope you all understand why!


Anyways, here in my little piece of the world it is VEEEERY cold. Like, 'is it winter?' cold. I don't dislike this really...I'm much more of a wintery person. I love the crisp crunch of autumn leaves beneath my sheepskin coated feet and the smell of that white wonderland making stuff, SNOW! So I can't really complain about the snow...coz I has many jumpers!


As many, many of you will know the pagan community lost a great man recently. I hope Isaac Bonewits' passing was calm and easy, and he has found his way to his next chapter. If any of you would be lovely (as I know you all are) enough to send some healing and helping energy to Isaac's family and friends I'm sure your wonderful contribution would be of some help.


Now, I was asking myself quite and important question this week.


How do I view deity?


I know lots of people who view deity as a being, perhaps not a physical being, but a being. Something one can communicate with and which will answer and guide it's worshippers. Of course, this kind of being can come in many forms. Namely (and to be more specicific), Gods. Venus, Zeus, Hecate, Hera, Artemis, Aradia, Anansi, Isis, Horus, Thoth, Thor, Odin...Yea, you can see where I'm going with this haha!
Gods that are born of culture, some current and some ancient, and who have continued in our universe. Most people I know, view deity in this way.


A few pagans I know view deity as one big whole thing. So all of those Gods I just mentioned are part of a whole. I don't think that makes each God less important but it connects them all (whether or not said Gods might want to be connected...ooo controversial hehe).


Some pagans or wiccans I know view deity as a supreme mother and father of all of the universe. I like this as it encompasses all facets of life and all aspects of ourselves as these two great beings are very humanistic. They look human, they act human (are born, live, reproduce and die) so I think lots of people can relate to them.


Ok, nearly there :). Finally, from the people I know of (because the list of 4 I've come up with can't possibly cover everyone!) there is one more view of deity. This might be the one I relate to best. I see deity as everything. Deity and, more importantly, the Divine, is absolutely everywhere. It's in people, it's in rocks, it's in cake. Nature is divine, the sky is divine, the stars, moon and planets are all divine.
They've been made, not for us (us being people) but because that's how the story of the universe has unfolded. Because it's here, because I can see it and touch it and feel it, it is divine. 


Perhaps I've come off a little crazy (oops) but that's not my intention. Think of it this way, some people dedicate their lives to trying to figure out what happens when we die. So much so that they forget to live.


So answer me this lovelies, how do you view your deity? What's you concept of the divine?
I'd love to hear your thoughts :D


xxx Aria

1 comment:

  1. My view of deity is incredibly.. odd? i guess.

    I've studied quantum mechanics which involves basically the physics of energy. I find that through the science of Einstein, religion and science fit perfectly together for me.

    When connecting with deity, I will use a name or face of the personified Gods - Artemis, The Lady, Gaia etc. I will see them as human so that I can connect better. In general, however, I "know" [loosely termed] that deity, in my eyes, is the collective consciousness of every single particle of energy. That is my true belief.

    It's worth pointing out that my form, my body and mind and thoughts are a smaller collective consciousness. I am purely energy, connected/collective. Thus I can view myself as human or a collection.

    In this way, it's simple for me to transmute my image of deity between particles and human-like beings.

    As for multiple deities; like humans have different emotions and personalities (they are energy), I feel that the many names are addres the facets of the one being. I will call on Artemis to reach out the energy that has the main essence of helping with the artibutes of women, childbirth, huting etc.

    I really hope that made sense :P I know it sounds confusing but it works for me and I'm happy to try and explain it further :). Just send me a tweet: celestialrose

    In Light,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete