Pages

Sunday 1 August 2010

Book Review: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane



In recent times I've not read a book I felt was worth a review but this book by Katherine Howe is certainly worthy of some praise. Originally published as The Lost Book of Salem, The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane sheds a more...realistic and historically accurate account of what might have befallen a Salem witch.

Though my knowledge of the Trials is patchy at be
st I am aware of many falsehoods being perpetuated by today's media and general dramatic hearsay. Katherine Howe's family experienced the Trials and Howe herself has a PhD in American and New England Studies which gives life to the story. Many names, place names and dates are historically accurate and this certainly adds to the enjoyment and mystery of the book. Make no mistake, the story is a story. Fictional only :).

The story itself seemed relatively transparent and predictable in places. As to whether Howe intended the reader to take an all-knowing position I could not determine. In all honesty, that is the only major flaw I find with the book and it is likely to be a flaw that I picked up on because I'm a particularly picky reader.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would, in fact, hope that Howe writes more of the same. I urge you to go to your local book shop, library or online, book buying place (recommending my buddy The amazon marketplace here) and grab a copy of this book. In the UK used copies are going for as little as £2 (before adding P&P) and in the US it seems a copy goes for about $10.

In short, I give this book 4 out of 5 broomsticks!!!
All my love to y'all,
Aria xx

No comments:

Post a Comment